Interesting People mailing list archives

Why I Win;t Get Screened for Prostate Cancer

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 09:57:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Why I Win;t Get Screened for Prostate Cancer
Date: June 15, 2017 at 9:54:49 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>, John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>

Dave, I thought your list might find my latest Scientific American post interesting. Cheers, John Horgan

Why I Won’t Get a PSA Test for Prostate Cancer

I recently had an awkward conversation with my doctor. I was getting a routine physical, and he recommended that I
get a PSA test for prostate cancer. I’m 63. I told him the PSA test harms more men than it helps. He acknowledged
that PSA tests produce false positives, but he insisted that follow-up tests and biopsies will determine whether you
really have a life-threatening cancer. He knew someone whose life had just been saved by the test. When I still
declined to get tested, he looked as though he felt sorry for me. He should feel sorry for the millions of men who
have gotten unnecessary biopsies, surgery and radiation as a result of taking the PSA test...

Continue at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/why-i-wont-get-a-psa-test-for-prostate-cancer/
<https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/why-i-wont-get-a-psa-test-for-prostate-cancer/>​