Interesting People mailing list archives

Re More on liberal arts etc

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 13:13:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Reese <ip () reeza com>
Date: June 30, 2017 at 12:36:14 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] More on liberal arts etc

For IP, if you wish.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: June 27, 2017 at 4:25:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>

... I overheard two women talking.  One said to the other: "Law school is the best liberal arts education you can
get."  I quietly agreed....

Disagree, two reasons.

One:
Science and jurisprudence are fundamentally different. I recently
heard it said that: "Attorneys approach problems of fact in a
distinctly different way than scientists. Attorneys use science, but
they do not approach a problem from the ground up and see where the
evidence leads. Instead, they start with a predetermined conclusion
that they seek to convince you of, they selectively use the science
that supports that conclusion. They will do research and are aware of
the other science, but this is only so that they can argue against it."

My take on that: to win an argument, use the tools of rhetoric; to
learn what is factually true and correct, use the scientific method.

Two:
This IP post from the year 2007: