Interesting People mailing list archives

Re NYTimes: U.C. Irvine Rescinds Acceptances for Hundreds of Applicants

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 08:33:47 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff () cs hmc edu>
Date: Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 3:30 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re NYTimes: U.C. Irvine Rescinds Acceptances for Hundreds
of Applicants
To: <dave () farber net>

Dave,

What your reader is missing is the way the numbers work.  Waiting
lists are only practical when the number of "declines" is small.

The typical high-status college or university has a (VERY roughly)
30% yield.  In other words, if you accept 10,000 students, you'll
wind up with 3000 who actually enroll.  If your goal is to have
3000 new students this fall and you therefore only accept 3000,
you'll run into two problems: first, many of the remaining 7000
will go away immediately and permanently (since their alternate
choices are often highly desirable), and second, when one of the
3000 turns you down, you lose time reaching out to the waiting
list.  Since everything has to be finished by a deadline (the
first day of classes), you can't afford much time loss.

The other fun thing is "summer melt": people who commit and pay
their deposits, but then don't show up.  That, too, needs to be
accounted for.  My memory is that it runs in the 3-5% range.

So *everybody* plays a statistical game.  The standard approach is
that if you want 3000 students and expect a 30% yield and 5% melt,
you send out about 10,000 acceptances.  If your statistical
predictions are right, you'll wind up with 3000 commitments and
then you can go to the wait list for another 150 to compensate for
the melt.

Every once in a while something happens to screw up the
statistics.  Maybe your school gets some good press in between
when you send out acceptances and when deposits are due.  Or maybe
one of your competitors becomes undesirable.  Or the melt is low.
Sometimes even politics messes up the predictions, as in this year
when the number of overseas students is down for obvious reasons
(although in this year's case, at least the admissions folks knew
about that before they sent acceptances out).

Admissions people don't get gray hairs worrying about whether
they've accepted a bad student or rejected a future Nobel Prize
winner.  Their real stress is almost entirely about yield and
melt.

Begin forwarded message: