Interesting People mailing list archives

re Move Over, Coders - Physicists Will Soon Rule Silicon Valley

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:12:08 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Karabaic <jk () exnext com>
Date: January 16, 2017 at 6:00:57 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] re Move Over, Coders - Physicists Will Soon Rule Silicon Valley

In the mid-90’s, the USA canceled the Superconducting Supercollider.  It became impossible for physicists to find
jobs doing physics.  They found they could make a lot of money applying their mathematical know-how to Wall Street
problems, which welcomed them with open arms and wallets.  The Black-Scholes equation had made derivatives pricing a
“science”,  and financial markets wanted scientists.

In the mid-90’s, a colleague at a well-known options trading firm told me, “To make money I need three things: an
algorithm, a coder and a salesforce.”

That’s what gave us the pile of steaming code that led to The Great Recession in 2008.

It’ll be interesting to see what this diversion of physicists leads to.  Maybe we should fund some big physics
project just to keep our economy safe.

What did we -- humanity -- lose when a clearly-qualified physicist
stopped researching the mysteries of the universe and starting writing
online payment code?

I'm reminded of this:

     1965 Engineer: I'm working on a rocket to put a man on the moon.
     2015 Engineer: I trick people into clicking on ads.
             --- Reactionary CEO, March 2015
Archives  | Modify Your Subscription | Unsubscribe Now

--
John Karabaic
gpg key available at hkp://keys.gnupg.net