Interesting People mailing list archives

Reasoning, Schmeasoning!

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 11:37:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 2, 2017 at 11:28:49 AM EST
To: "'Peter G. Neumann'" <neumann () csl sri com>, "  " <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: Reasoning, Schmeasoning!

At this point it is about emotions. This is why I don't want to allow the
idea of Russians (and others) hacking as being normalized and accepted by
putting the blame on the victims.

If I wanted to continue the rational tack I'd identify one root assumption
as being that there are parts but not wholes so we should arm ourselves
rather than having police departments. But that gets too far into logical
thinking. For now anger at the Putin is important.

Yeah -- what words like "safe" mean is another very interested discussion
for those who are interested in such topics and appreciate ambiguity.