Interesting People mailing list archives

"Information Warfare"

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:30:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Forster <jrforster () mac com>
Date: January 4, 2017 at 11:46:18 AM EST

Here’s a fascinating article about "Information Warfare”; in this case as practiced and analyzed in Serbia but I
think the principles apply more widely.  Here’s an excerpt and index from
https://labs.rs/en/mapping-and-quantifying-political-information-warfare/

POLITICS OF HIDDEN INTERNET INTERVENTIONISM

As framed by the media theorist Manuel Castells, we should not overlook the oldest and most direct form of media
politics: propaganda and control. This is: (a) the fabrication and diffusion of messages that distort facts and
induce misinformation for the purpose of advancing government interests; and (b) the censorship of any message deemed
to undermine these interests, if necessary by criminalizing unhindered communication and prosecuting the messenger.

PART 1 : INDEX

POLITICS OF HIDDEN INTERNET INTERVENTIONISM
NEVERENDING REALITY SHOW OF ONLINE MEDIA
CONQUERING SPACES OF PUBLIC DISCUSSION
DDOS ATTACKS
CONTENT TAKEDOWNS
TARGETED ATTACKS ON INDIVIDUALS

PART2 : SOCIAL MEDIA BATLLEFIED, ARRESTS & DETENTIONS

I’ve no idea who/what labs.rs is.

Also on the same site "EXPLORING ALTERNATIVE INTERNETS AND UNUSUAL FORMS OF NETWORKING IN HAVANA”, the best article
I’ve seen about the Internet in Cuba.
https://labs.rs/en/exploring-alternative-internets-and-unusual-forms-of-networking-in-havana/

  — Jim