Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Brick & Mortar Store Goes Cashless

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 19:56:07 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Brick & Mortar Store Goes Cashless
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

The India effort was ostensibly less about a cashless economy per se
(though that's a major additional goal) but about reducing counterfeits,
black money, etc.

Note, a thousand rupees is well over $50 in PPP terms.  Of course, PM Modi
didn't get rid of 1000 rupee notes - he just declared the old ones void, to
be turned in for newly printed ones (in 500 or 2000 denominations).  This
was why it was dubbed a "surgical strike" on black money.

Cashless transactions have two worrying points.  People have already talked
about anonymity.  It's interesting, there is metadata at hand to worry
about.  It's like a phone call where one may not tap the conversation but
still know whom I called, one may not know what I bought, but cashless
systems (some of them) would know where I shopped, and for how much.  If I
spend $50 every day at a liquor store...hmmm.

Even if we have truly anonymous debit cards, who will pay for their
transactions?  A $100 bill remains $100 a thousand transactions later.  IF
we assume we have mastercard type solutions (which are changing), these
charge, say (?) 2% or 25 cents, whichever is higher.  That means $100 is
now worth (to the consumers) only $98 one transaction later, and this
figure falls to zero about 153 transactions later.  Even a 1% or lower
transaction cost falls to zero at some point (assuming a minimum threshold
transaction charge).

India has a lot of mobile/digital wallets.  They are NOT charging
transaction costs as of now.  That means their investors are paying for it
- when one uses a Mastercard to load money onto the wallet.

Rahul