Interesting People mailing list archives

Re neutrality versus carrier laws

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 23:38:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: December 13, 2017 at 8:28:08 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] neutrality versus carrier laws

Here’s a suggestion: before spinning ditzy tales about life after net neutrality, how about doing a little research,
OK? The market for Internet ads is not competitive (as the Forbes-hosted blogger claims), it’s concentrated in two
firms who control 100% of new ads at this point. These two firms, Google and Facebook, collect information from the
websites we visit. When the ISPs are regulated under the same terms as the duopoly, they will still have less
information because they don’t see nearly as many people as the web-based trackers and most of the information they
do see is encrypted.

Nobody has an interest in covering your screen with ads for Plato’s closet; that will make you stop using the
Internet, which has the side-effect of drying up their revenue stream. And the FTC’s privacy guidelines give us
opt-outs for the collection of the information about which Prof. Pollack speculates.

Like it or not, Tim Berners-Lee’s web is funded by advertising. People are OK with that, but we do want the ads we
see to be less numerous, more relevant, and less destructive to web performance.

How about we discuss real issues for a change instead of all these nonsensical fantasies about practices that are
either unlawful or unacceptable commercially? Congress considered regulating email as a common carrier back in the
Kennard era (see 1998 Universal Service report), but the idea did not have legs. The FCC can’t just summarily decide
that Google, Twitter, Facebook and Amazon are common carriers. The information services would sue, and they would win.

RB