Interesting People mailing list archives

Re 400+ lines of JavaScript into web pages

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 20:05:29 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Roy Levin <roy () levin net>
Date: Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM
Subject: RE: [IP] Re Comcast is injecting 400+ lines of JavaScript into web
pages
To: <dave () farber net>

Dave,

For IP, if you choose.

I don’t understand the apparent compulsion by ISPs to communicate with me
by any means they can implement.  If the electric company, or gas company,
or water company, has to tell me something about my service, they use
conventional means of contacting me:  phone, email, snail mail.  If I fail
to respond for whatever reason, and there is a legitimate urgent concern,
they will turn off my service, which is likely to get my attention.

If the telephone company needs to contact me, and they observe that, when
they call, I don’t answer, do they then notice when I happen to be on a
phone call with someone and break into that call to deliver their message?
No, of course not.  Why should ISPs do the equivalent?

Roy