Interesting People mailing list archives

Jellyfish, Sexbots and the Solipsism Problem

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 19:07:59 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: December 4, 2017 at 8:36:31 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Jellyfish, Sexbots and the Solipsism Problem

Davie, I thought your list might find this column, "Jellyfish, Sexbots and the Solipsism Problem," interesting. John
Horgan

What’s the difference between science and philosophy? Scientists address questions that can in principle be answered
by means of objective, empirical investigation. Philosophers wrestle with questions that cannot be empirically
resolved and hence remain matters of taste, not truth.

​

Here is a classic philosophical question: What creatures and/or things are capable of consciousness?... This question
animated “Animal Consciousness,” a conference I attended at New York University last month. It should have been
called “Animal Consciousness?” or “Animal ‘Consciousness’” to reflect the uncertainty pervading the two-day meeting.

Speakers disagreed over when and how consciousness evolved and what is required for it to occur. A nervous system?
Brain? Complex responses to the environment? The ability to learn and adapt to new circumstances? And if we suspect
that something is sentient, and hence capable of suffering, should we grant it rights?

In my last post, I focused on the debate over whether fish can suffer. Scholars also considered the sentience of
dogs, lampreys, wasps, spiders, crustaceans and other species. Speakers presented evidence that creatures quite
unlike us are capable of complex cognition...

Looming over these disputes is the solipsism problem. I know I am consciousness, but I can’t be absolutely sure that
anything else is conscious, because I have access only to my own subjective experience. I’m pretty confident that you
and other humans are conscious, because we’re so similar. But my confidence in the consciousness of non-human things
diminishes in proportion to their dissimilarity from me....

Continue reading at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/jellyfish-sexbots-and-the-solipsism-problem/