Interesting People mailing list archives

Re GoDaddy finally took down neo-Nazi website & Google booted it next

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 14:47:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Date: August 15, 2017 at 2:39:43 PM EDT
To: farber Dave <farber () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re GoDaddy finally took down neo-Nazi website & Google booted it next

There is also isolating them so there aren’t enough in anyone place to reach critical mass.  The KKK, the Birch
Society, etc have been around for a very long time, but at least in the 20th C their numbers had dwindled to the
point that there were only a few places they had numbers to reach critical mass and they were limited in converting
others. I have always been appalled by how late lynchings were common in this country.

The real question which was addressed by an earlier post is why certain people are attracted to this kind of hate.
There are the usual fear of those they don’t know, the desire to think there is someone below them, etc.  But there
is something in others that goes way beyond that. This always reminds me of an issue of the New York Review of a book
I read a long time ago. One article reviewed a book that look at the question of why in the South before the Civil
War if there was a small minority that owned slaves was there such support for secession. A lot of the answer
especially among poor whites was as long as there were slaves there was someone under them. In the same issue was an
article by Andrew Young commenting on a KKK demonstration in a far suburb of Atlanta. Young pointed out that the
demonstration wasn’t racist but economic.  A small town was becoming “gentrified” and an Atlanta suburb and
professionals were moving in (black and white) and the indigenous population was losing influence and moving down the
ladder.

Good editors can make a strong point without saying a word.

But the fact remains, there has been a marked up turn in hate crimes with Trump.  It was clear in the campaign that
he was running the Milosevic playbook and we are seeing the results of that. It has to be stopped.

John