Interesting People mailing list archives

Google Fires Employee Behind Controversial Diversity Memo

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 22:16:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: August 7, 2017 at 9:54:38 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Google Fires Employee Behind Controversial Diversity Memo

Google Fires Employee Behind Controversial Diversity Memo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-08/google-fires-employee-behind-controversial-diversity-memo

     Alphabet Inc.'s Google has fired an employee who wrote an
   internal memo blasting the web company's diversity policies,
   creating a firestorm across Silicon Valley.  James Damore, the
   Google engineer who wrote the note, confirmed his dismissal in
   an email, saying that he had been fired for "perpetuating
   gender stereotypes." A Google representative didn't
   immediately return a request for comment.  Google's Chief
   Executive Officer Sundar Pichai sent a note to employees on
   Monday that said portions of the employee's memo "violate our
   Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender
   stereotypes in our workplace." But he didn't say if the
   company was taking action against the employee.