Interesting People mailing list archives

Re For the New Far Right, YouTube Has Become the New Talk Radio

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 22:42:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hasan Diwan <hasan.diwan () gmail com>
Date: August 3, 2017 at 7:33:37 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] For the New Far Right, YouTube Has Become the New Talk Radio

Dr Farber,
[for IP, if you wish]
I was raised Muslim, am no longer one. Certain members of my family remain as such. My uncle works at Intel, but at
the time he was at Cisco and was telling me about how a scholar was publishing lectures on youtube and "all the
youth" listen to him. His name, "Dr." Anwar al-Awlaki. For those with a shorter memory for names than I, Awlaki was
an New Mexico-born Yemeni cleric who was barred from entering the United Kingdom on terrorist grounds.

The problem with Islam are manyfold, but the presence of extremist preachers is an effect of the way Islam is taught
to youth. Namely, I read the Quran in a mosque, in classical Arabic, because translations into the vernacular would
destroy the poetic nature of the words.[1]

In my opinion, religion should teach one how to live and Islam does so, in a language that few understand and so are
trusted to make the interpretations for the rest of us. I'd much rather have been told, "yes, this is like
Shakespeare and operates at multiple levels. We are reading this in its original first, after every few sentences,
we'll read from a translation. Like most other aspects,translation loses some of the intent of the original, so we
Muslims are encouraged to think about and adapt these verses for our own lives".

I'd probably still feel that religion is an outmoded form of scientific inquiry, but if mosques were to encourage the
understanding, instead of rote memorisation and regurgitation, most of the casual followers of extremist clerics
wouldn't exist.

I know that Islamism and the new right are diametrically opposed poles of the same. But, they both want to radically
alter our secular, western societies. Both rely on the ideologically-isolating nature of networks to gain recruits.
As Thomas L. Friedman is so fond of saying, the biggest beneficiaries of globalisation are Bill Gates and Osama bin
Laden. -- H

-- H
1. This, and other such idiotic statements form the basis of my leaving Islam.