Interesting People mailing list archives

time to bite the bullet

From: "David Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:37:26 -0400

First I agree that todays internet connected voting machines are not secure enough for voting (or for any other
critical services such as controlling power, water, banking etc). As I said in my Stanford talk last December, it is
time to rethink all aspects of our current computer based systems. We need to re-architect our processors, networks,
protocols and most important our software systems to  provide the basis for trusted systems that are by design secure
and trustable. I believe the past research in Comp Sci over the past 35 years has pointed to the right direction.

In looking at the chaos caused by our current systems which are demonstrably not either secure of trustable and yet the
unstoppable penetration of our economy and life by digital systems, I think it is time to start  really thinking.

As I said in the Stanford talk, we most likely can not replace the current systems in general. But we can start by
understanding how to create systems that are trustable for the worlds CRITCAL systems.

Dave