Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 16:43:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Date: October 24, 2016 at 4:31:38 PM EDT
To: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

I hear "sophisticated" thrown around a lot, in reporting on cybersecurity... I think that's a lazy word.  What
exactly would we say is sophisticated about the major DDoS attacks?  Lots of moving parts, and something requiring
engineering precision?  Or, in the aggregate, just a bunch of interesting (though familiar) little things?  An attack
that employs some zero-day exploit shouldn't be called sophisticated, if the perpetrator merely swapped some bitcoin
with the person that actually reverse-engineered the code, etc.

I also wouldn't rush to assume "large nation state" due to the scale of the attack; one passably good network
engineer could probably pull off any of these, given what can be automated, outsourced, etc., etc. (exactly what, in
the Dyn attacks, would require much more than what one experienced engineer and the wherewithal to buy some bots
could achieve?  Lining up a lot of ducks, before pushing the "fire" button, doesn't make for sophistication, just
garden-variety duck-scheduling skills, time and perhaps a little money.)

Schneier's suggesting that it looks like cyberwar "calibration" due to the apparent thoroughness of the attacks in
running through a range of options might be a good guess, and certainly would make sense, but there's no reason it
couldn't also be a diligent doctoral student with OCD, and we'll see an anonymous submission to a future network
conference on how anyone with $100 in seed capital can take down the Western world...

Ross

Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet
By Bruce Schneier
Sep 13 2016
<https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/09/someone_is_lear.html>

Over the past year or two, someone has been probing the defenses of the companies that run critical pieces of the
Internet. These probes take the form of precisely calibrated attacks designed to determine exactly how well these
companies can defend themselves, and what would be required to take them down. We don't know who is doing this, but
it feels like a large nation state. China or Russia would be my first guesses.
They're more sophisticated.

Who would do this? It doesn't seem like something an activist, criminal, or researcher would do. Profiling core
infrastructure is common practice in espionage and intelligence gathering. It's not normal for companies to do
that. Furthermore, the size and scale of these probes -- and especially their persistence -- points to state actors.