Interesting People mailing list archives

Re On WikiLeaks, Journalism, and Privacy: Reporting on the Podesta Archive is an Easy Call

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 21:00:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hendricks Dewayne <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 14, 2016 at 11:01:04 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] On WikiLeaks, Journalism, and Privacy: Reporting on the Podesta Archive is an Easy Call

On WikiLeaks, Journalism, and Privacy: Reporting on the Podesta Archive is an Easy Call
By Glenn Greenwald
Oct 13 2016
<https://theintercept.com/2016/10/13/on-wikileaks-journalism-and-privacy-reporting-on-the-podesta-archive-is-an-easy-call/>

For years, WikiLeaks has been publishing massive troves of documents online – usually taken without authorization
from powerful institutions and then given to the group to publish – while news outlets report on their relevant
content. In some instances, these news outlets work in direct partnership with WikiLeaks – as the New York Times and
the Guardian, among others, did when jointly publishing the Iraq and Afghanistan war logs and U.S. diplomatic cables
– while other times media outlets simply review the archives published by WikiLeaks and then report on what they deem
newsworthy.

WikiLeaks has always been somewhat controversial but reaction has greatly intensified this year because many of their
most significant leaks have had an impact on the U.S. presidential election and, in particular, have focused on
Democrats. As a result, Republicans who long vilified them as a grave national security threat have become their
biggest fans (“I love WikiLeaks,” Donald Trump gushed last night, even though he previously called for Edward Snowden
to be executed), while Democrats who cheered them for their mass leaks about Bush-era war crimes now scorn them as an
evil espionage tool of the Kremlin.

The group’s recent publication of the emails of Clinton campaign chair John Podesta has been particularly
controversial because it comes less than a month before the election; it included all sorts of private and purely
personal exchanges along with substantive, newsworthy material; and it was obtained through actions that were likely
criminal (hacking). Compounding the intensity of the debate is the now-standard Democratic campaign tactic of
reflexively accusing their adversaries of being a tool or agent of Moscow.

As a result, it’s worth reviewing a few crucial principles and facts about the journalistic process. It’s vital to
emphasize that there are two entirely independent questions presented by all this: (1) were the hackers who took
Podesta’s emails, and WikiLeaks which published them all without curating them for relevance and harm, justified in
doing so?; and (2) once those emails were taken by the hackers and published in full by WikiLeaks, what is the
obligation of journalists with regard to reporting on them? I’ve spoken a lot in the past about question (1) –
including explaining why, rather than just indiscriminately dumping the Snowden archive and other leaks we’ve
received, we instead carefully curate the materials and only publish what is newsworthy – so, here, I’m going to
address only the second question.

When it comes to the question of whether and how the Podesta email archive should be reported, there are, in my view,
five principles that ought to guide the decision-making process:

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: <http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/>