Interesting People mailing list archives

EFF: Censorship in Social Media Leaves Users in Frustration

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:13:21 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: EFF Press via eff-board <eff-board () eff org>
Date: November 16, 2016 at 12:01:15 PM EST
To: <eff-all () eff org>
Subject: [E-B] EFF: Censorship in Social Media Leaves Users in Frustration

This is a friendly message from the Electronic Frontier Foundation. View it in a web browser.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2016
Contact:
Jillian C. York
Director for International Freedom of Expression
jillian () eff org

Censorship in Social Media Leaves Users in Frustration
EFF and Visualizing Impact Analyze Reports of Content Moderation Gone Awry

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - User reports of censorship of social media posts show a deep frustration with companies’ content
moderation policies, according to an analysis by Onlinecensorship.org, a project of the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (EFF) and Visualizing Impact.

In “Censorship in Context: Insights from Crowdsourced Data on Social Media Censorship,” researchers analyzed reports
of content takedowns received from users of Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube from April to November
of 2016. At a time when many are asking for more content moderation—like calls for Facebook to crack down on “fake
news”—election-related censorship complaints focused on the desire of users to speak their minds and share
information about a tight election without worrying that their posts will disappear.

“Social media is where we receive news, debate, and organize. These companies have enormous impact on the public
sphere, yet they are still private entities with the ability to curate the information we see and the information we
don’t see at their sole discretion,” said Jillian C. York, EFF Director for International Freedom of Expression and
co-founder of Onlinecensorship.org. “The user base is what powers these social media tools, yet users are feeling
like they don’t have any control or understanding of the system.”

“Censorship in Context” recommends best practices for social media content moderation, including transparency in how
company policies are enforced and any available remedies. The researchers also urge strengthening systems of redress
when content is removed in error, and doing a better job of educating users about what is acceptable on a given
platform and what isn’t.

“Many people depend on Facebook to talk to friends, family, clients, and fans, and to debate the issues of the day,”
said Project Strategist Sarah Myers West. “While these companies have the right to set their own rules, the least
they can do is to tell everyone how they’re enforced.”

Onlinecensorship.org was launched in November of 2015 to spot trends in content removals and learn how these
takedowns impact different communities. The site also includes a guide to appealing a content takedown and hosts a
collection of news reports on content moderation practices.

For the full whitepaper:
https://onlinecensorship.org/news-and-analysis/onlinecensorship-org-launches-second-report-censorship-in-context-pdf

For this release:
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/censorship-social-media-leaves-users-frustration

About EFF

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading organization protecting civil liberties in the digital world.
Founded in 1990, we defend free speech online, fight illegal surveillance, promote the rights of digital innovators,
and work to ensure that the rights and freedoms we enjoy are enhanced, rather than eroded, as our use of technology
grows. EFF is a member-supported organization. Find out more at https://eff.org.

Electronic Frontier Foundation, 815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 USA.
EFF appreciates your support and respects your privacy.
Unsubscribe from all mail or change your email preferences.