Interesting People mailing list archives

President Signs Law Protecting Your Right to Review

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 12:15:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: December 23, 2016 at 4:28:00 PM EST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] President Signs Law Protecting Your Right to Review

President Signs Law Protecting Your Right to Review
The Consumer Review Fairness Act Is an Win for Free Speech Online, Despite Possible Flaw
By Eliot Harmon
Dec 21 2016
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/12/president-signs-law-protecting-right-review>

President Obama recently signed the Consumer Review Fairness Act of 2016 (H.R. 5111), which passed both houses of
Congress unanimously. The bill addresses a dangerous trend: businesses inserting clauses into their form contracts
that attempt to limit their customers’ ability to criticize products and services online. We’re pleased to see
Congress taking a big step to protect free speech online and rein in abusive form contracts.

The CRFA tackles two different ways that businesses attempt to squash their customers’ reviews. The first is rather
straightforward: simply inserting clauses into their form contracts saying that customers can’t post negative reviews
online, or imposing a fine for them. For instance, the Union Street Guest House used such a contract and attempted to
fine guests over their bad reviews.

The second tactic is a bit more roundabout: businesses put a clause in their contracts saying that they own the
copyright to customers’ reviews. Then, when they see a review that they don’t like, they file a takedown notice under
the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). One notorious example of that trick is a form contract for doctors
offered by a company called Medical Justice. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ordered doctors to quit
using such contracts in 2013, but similar practices live on across different industries. The CRFA voids both types of
contract clauses and makes it illegal for businesses to offer them.

When we’ve written previously about the CRFA, we’ve noted a potential gap in the way the law was worded. Companies
may try to argue that they are allowed to craft contract clauses assigning themselves the copyright to customers’
reviews so long as the reviews are not “lawful.” Companies may then attempt to remove web content written by
customers using the special censorship tools available to copyright owners under the DMCA, claiming that that content
is not lawful (for example, because it allegedly defames the company). If courts—or service providers who receive
takedown notices—accept that reasoning, then vendors could bypass the traditional protections for allegedly illegal
speech, having content removed immediately under the DMCA rather than going through a court as it normally would for
non-copyright speech claims. We are disappointed that Congress failed to clearly foreclose this abuse of form
contracts and the DMCA takedown process.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: <http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/>