Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Facebook Shouldn't Fact-Check

From: "David Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 11:12:18 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Facebook Shouldn't Fact-Check
Date: December 1, 2016 at 11:07:16 AM EST
To: dave () farber net

What I'd like to see the big platforms do it become the leaders in
promoting media literacy, as opposed to being the arbiters of truth
themselves.

https://medium.com/@dangillmor/facebook-google-twitter-et-al-need-to-be-champions-for-media-literacy-a58ecea5edbe#.ouema4qsb

They can help their users develop skills that are absolutely
essential: namely how to be critical thinkers in an age of nearly
infinite information sources — how to evaluate and act on information
when so much of what we see is wrong, deceitful, or even dangerous.
Critical thinking means, in this context, media literacy.