Interesting People mailing list archives

Recommendations for charitable contributions?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 05:09:38 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:56 PM
Subject: Recommendations for charitable contributions?
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

The end of the year is coming, which is the time that we (and many others)
make decisions about charitable contributions. I am increasingly concerned
about protection of online rights -- this includes security and privacy, of
course, but also cyberbullying, deliberate propagation of misinformation,
and assorted hate crimes.

I wonder whether IPers can help identify charitable organizations that can
make progress on solving these problems.  I'm specifically interested in
online rights. What are your personal recommendations, groups that you
personally support?

Brief descriptions like this would be helpful:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation defends civil liberties in the digital
world. EFF protects  user privacy, free expression, and innovation through
impact

litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology

development. Provides tools to protect online presence. Recent
accomplishment: exempting security research and vehicle repair from DMCA.
http://eff.org

If there are enough responses to be interesting, I'll share a
summary/compilation (so don't write anything you don't want me to share).

Thanks,
               Mary