Interesting People mailing list archives

The Virtual Revolution

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:20:24 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: March 13, 2010 4:38:03 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: The Virtual Revolution

Hi Dave:

For IP if you wish.

"The Virtual Revolution" is a BBC documentary series about how the Web "is reshaping almost every aspect of our lives".

It's written and presented by Dr Aleks Krotoski of the (UK) Guardian newspaper - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleks_Krotoski.

The programmes can be seen on iPlayer (by those lucky enough to live in the UK! :-) - I assume they will be made available in due course on PBS.

They feature a whole galaxy of interviewees. For example here is a list I found of the interviews in programme 1:

Stephen Fry on the risk/reward ratio of the web
John Perry Barlow on the importance of free information
Andrew Keen on the libertarian illusion of the web
Jimmy Wales on Wikipedia's cross-cultural truths
Howard Rheingold: what matters is shared interest
David Runciman on how elite politics has carried on regardless
Tim Berners-Lee recalls the path to inventing the web
Tim Berners-Lee on the excitement of the web
Arianna Huffington on Obama, politics, blogs and the web
Einar Kvaran, arch Wikipedian, on information/truth
Master Shortie on social networking and music piracy
Stewart Brand on the Whole Earth Catalogue

However, though iPlayer is not available outside the UK, the BBC have put a lot of material drawn from, or associated with, the series on the Web. A good starting point is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/2010/03/100311_virtual_revolution_how_and_when.shtml

And BBC World Service (radio) and BBC World News (tv) have an associated whole season of programmes about the Internet, called SuperPower - see:

 http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specialreports/superpower.shtml

Cheers

Brian

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK