Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Why I'm Skeptical of the FCC's Call for User Broadband Testing

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:05:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: March 11, 2010 8:51:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Why I'm Skeptical of the FCC's Call for User Broadband Testing

I think it's safe to say that bursting or "burst boosting" if you will is the most common form of traffic shaping on
today's Internet. It's great for people who are surfing the Web, as it boosts the performance of the most visible
interactive aspect of the modern Internet.

The trouble with these tests is that they don't try to model any particular kinds of applications, and that should be
the first thing the tester thinks of when designing the test: try a stream that looks like VoIP, try one that looks
like a web page, try one that looks like YouTube, and then try one that looks like P2P. Instead of doing that, they do
one generic test. It so happens that the smarter ISPs have optimized their bursting parameters for the generic case
that Speedtest uses.

I ran both the M-Labs and Ooka tests from the FCC today, and got wildly different results: Ookla had me at 25 Mbps down
and 2 ms of jitter, and M-Labs had me at  14.6 and 112. This disparity is to vast that it only says something about the
tools, and not a thing about my connection speed and quality.

If you want a global view of Internet connection speeds, see the data from Speedtest drawn from users all over the
world:

http://speedtest.net/global.php#0

It shows that users in the USA can easily buy a connection that's as fast as the average speed in the countries with
the highest average speeds, so the fuss about national rankings is largely a question of what tier of service people
choose to pay for.

RB