Interesting People mailing list archives

How not to put computers in control -- Toyota as runaway machines

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:09:05 -0500

From: "Ed Gerck, Ph.D." <egerck () nma com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>, "Ip Ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Date: March 10, 2010 07:13:44 AM EST
Subject: (updated) How not to put computers in control -- Toyota as runaway machines

[Dave: please use this version, if possible]

How not to put computers in control -- Toyota as runaway machines

The absence of a clearly labeled, directly acting with no intermediate
computer control, fail-safe, zero delay, emergency power off (EPO)
switch, which is mandatory for machines that can cause an injury if not
halted immediately, is becoming obvious:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/08/california.runaway.prius/index.html?hpt=T2

Toyota's problem is not the computerization of cars -- the problem is
not following well-established risk procedures when putting computers in
control.

For more than 50 years, machine designers worldwide must obey
regulations to provide an EPO. Asking Toyota drivers to shift to Neutral
for 2 seconds or press the OFF switch for 3 seconds is not an intuitive,
familiar thing to do and will take too long to act -- it should be
immediate -- if it acts at all, because the car's computer may hang and
just not do it.

In terms of usability, not only the 3+ second delay is an eternity in
emergency terms, but it can intuitively give the driver the idea that it
is not working after (say) 2 seconds, after which time the driver in
panic gives up and the EMERGENCY OFF function is not used by the vehicle.

To put matters in perspective, for a vehicle at 68 miles per hour, 3
seconds means more than 90 meters (100 yards). At 90 mph, as in a
possible emergency situation with unintended acceleration, it represents
more than 120 meters at high speed.

After 3 seconds, with the current Toyota design, the vehicle will likely
need much more than the normal braking distance to stop. The actual
distance to stop the Toyota vehicle may far exceed the 100 meter delay
plus the normal braking distance, due to the expected brake fade that
should set in with heavy brake use during the 100 meter delay period.

Thus, even in common situations and speed ranges, the resulting
overlarge distances caused and amplified by the current Toyota EMERGENCY
OFF design can easily lead to a life-threatening disaster before the
driver has any chance to act.

Further, considering that 0.3 seconds is the average human delay to
respond physically, which human delay is 1/10th the EMERGENCY OFF delay
imposed mechanically by Toyota, we find that it is imprudent and
unreasonable for the Toyota design to force such overlarge delay on the
driver, who could easily in case of an emergency act correctively in the
first tenth of the 3 second delay.

The Toyota brake override system does not solve the overlarge EMERGENCY
OFF delay and is not an alternative to an EPO switch either. It is not
fail-safe (e.g., it requires the ECU to be functional) and is not
immediate (it requires 5+ seconds to engage). It cannot be used, thus,
to eliminate the EPO or reduce the 3 second EMERGENCY OFF delay.

Therefore, as we have said for weeks (see IP archives for my postings),
we find that Toyota did not follow safety standards that exist even
since the steam locomotive – you need a single OFF switch/button that
acts directly.

Further, this fault cannot be cured by the current recalls or
enhancements, by removing or changing floor mats, or even by adding more
redundancy and diagnostics.

Lack of a proper EPO is a basic design flaw that makes Toyota vehicles
such as the Prius literally unsafe at any speed. I just may not be able
to turn the thing off at will, even when I absolutely need and want it.

To address these concerns Toyota and other vehicle brands need to do a
couple modifications:

- Install a clearly labeled EPO, which must be functional immediately at any
time that the driver may want it. I advance that there are design solutions
that can comply with this request and do not significantly alter the dashboard
or the vehicle's appearance inside and outside.

- Activating the EPO button should still keep power-assisted braking and
steering to help with handling the emergency in a safe manner, but no engine
would be driving the wheels.

- To allay concerns of unintended activation, the suggested EPO may be
implemented to only operate as an EPO by at the same time having to press the
brake. This can be achieved without ECU control, by wiring logic. And the EPO
can be just like a key that you have to twist,  as familiar to drivers in a
70's car, or depressed in a slot, as the norm for machines also allows, and not
easily reachable by others but the driver.

- Shifting to neutral should act directly, as I ask for the EPO, even though
still with ECU supervision and control. If the ECU works, this is useful for
example to let the ECU change the engine to idle.  Shifting to neutral
(reportedly, recommended by Toyota) is currently not safe as it is
ECU-controlled, so it will not happen if there is an ECU fault, and also takes
2 seconds to be applied – which may seem as an eternity in an emergency, or
simply too long if the vehicle is at 90 mph (2 seconds at 90 mph means more
than 80 meters).

The absence of these modifications is currently life-threatening.

Best regards,
Ed Gerck
www.gerck.com (my opinion, not my employer's)