Interesting People mailing list archives

Most Of Us Have Black Box Recorders in our Cars

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:56:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Powers <jpowers () data-rights com>
Date: March 5, 2010 4:46:11 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Most Of Us Have Black Box Recorders in our Cars

Dave,

For IP if you wish and thanks for an exquisite resource in IP.

[And I hope you and Gigi are doing well (I’m Robert Pepper’s friend, I dined with you and Gigi at Pep’s house a few years ago)].

BMW and many other vehicle makers have had access to this data for years.

They just didn’t want your or I to know about it.

With OnStar and the other services exploding, I’d wager most new car s have this capability to some degree.

The data itself is rarely disclosed which seems only to be when advantageous to a car maker or when compelled by an outside authority.

The data is pretty rich: In one BMW case, it merged GPS data with vehicle condition info (engine and speed) giving a very vivid picture of an event.

This was then supposedly used to contradict a customer’s claim of no rmal use.

The black box data showed a high rate of speed and at a specific time and location (and with detailed engine and gear conditions) it suggested abuse of the vehicle.

I’ve spoken to a few people at different car makers about this but n o one wants to touch it.

The simple and proper solution is to disclose this technology and get our consent to its constrained and verifiable use.

After all, if its use was disclosed, and its laudable applications agreed to, then I think most of us would support this capability.

But we can’t do that if we are not told.

And until now, it seem to have been something just too sensitive for them to want to speak to.

No longer and this should be interesting.

Jamie Powers

Jamie Powers, Esq.

Data Rights & Privacy Advisors, LLC

www.data-rights.com (our apologies while under redesign)

"Personal Data - The 21st Century Asset" (TM)

11465 Sunset Hills Road

Suite 600

Reston, Virginia 20190

Main   703-796-1919

Fax      866-472-4753

NOTICE: This email is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material and please do not review, retransmit, disseminate or use this message or attachment if you are not the intended recipient. If you do receive this communication in error, we regret the inconvenience and please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments from your computers.