Interesting People mailing list archives

Homeland Security weighs expanding Einstein monitoring to private sector

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:42:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: March 4, 2010 11:25:26 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Homeland Security weighs expanding Einstein monitoring to private sector

Dave,

Your readers may be interested in our CNET report today about a possible expansion of Homeland Security's Einstein network- monitoring system to the private sector:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10463665-38.html

The original purpose of Einstein was to detect attacks on .gov networks. We don't know much about the latest version, Einstein 3, but Homeland Security has said that it will try to prevent attacks as they're happening. The White House confirmed this week that Einstein 3 involves DHS exchanging information with the National Security Agency:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10462563-38.html

Here are some questions that CDT raised about Einstein, including Einstein 3, last year that as far as I know are still unanswered:
http://www.cdt.org/security/20090728_einstein_rpt.pdf

-Declan