Interesting People mailing list archives

Unwanted phone charges raising consumer ire

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:36:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 30, 2010 9:29:41 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Unwanted phone charges raising consumer ire

http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2010/03/30/unwanted_phone_charges_raising_consumer_ire/?s_campaign=8315

Mike Cunningham’s monthly phone bill is a crazy-quilt of fees, surch arges, and taxes, so it took nearly two years for him to notice “enh anced voice mail’’ charges of $14.95 and $13.22 tucked into pages five and six.

After reviewing statements back to December 2008, Cunningham found he had paid $567 to two companies whose names he didn’t recognize. E ven worse, he had no idea what he’d bought.

. . . discussion of how third parties got access to the Verizon billing engine …

ILD and Enhanced Billing credited Cunningham’s account for $424.06 a nd $142.96, respectively. ILD said it did so immediately after learn ing his grandson was a minor.

Both companies said they would never bill someone for services they did not want, though Olayan added that ILD sent Cunningham $1,000 worth of coupons as part of the deal. “That’s a lie,’’ Cunningham said in response.

Cunningham said he now wants to drop Verizon Wireless, but can’t jus t yet. Instead of issuing him a $567 refund, the companies issued hi m a credit that can only be applied to his Verizon bills.

“It’s like salt in the wound,’’ he said. “I can’t leave. I’m a captive audience.’’

This is a reminder of why ATT failed as credit card company.

I’ve already written about my own experience Verizon. After all, wha t is a phone company but a billing engine – one designed for 19th ce ntury telegraphy (hence message units). No wonder 900 numbers failed.

With little ability to create value itself (bits are just bits) it continues to try to wheedle money out of customers however it can. All-the-more reason to deconstruct it so we can fund infrastructure as infrastructure and choose what services we choose to pay for while retaining control over our relationships with suppliers.