Interesting People mailing list archives

Surveillance via bogus SSL certificates

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:19:46 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Blaze <mab () crypto com>
Date: March 24, 2010 3:09:19 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Surveillance via bogus SSL certificates

Dave,

For IP if you'd like.

Over a decade ago, I observed that commercial certificate authorities protect you from anyone from whom they are unwilling to take money. That turns out to be wrong; they don't even do that.

Chris Soghoian and Sid Stamm published a paper today that describes a simple "appliance"-type box, marketed to law enforcement and intelligence agencies in the US and elsewhere, that uses bogus certificates issued by *any* cooperative certificate authority to act as a "man-in-the-middle" for encrypted web traffic.

Their paper is available at http://files.cloudprivacy.net/ssl-mitm.pdf

What I found most interesting (and surprising) is that this sort of surveillance is widespread enough to support fairly mature, turnkey commercial products. It carries some significant disadvantages for law enforcement -- most particularly it can be potentially can be detected.

I briefly discuss the implications of this kind of surveillance at http://www.crypto.com/blog/spycerts/

Also, Wired has a story here: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/packet-forensics/

-matt