Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Is Hiring Bond Traders

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:50:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Fields <ip20398470293845 () aquick org>
Date: March 23, 2010 3:31:47 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Google Is Hiring Bond Traders

Fir IP, if you wish:

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:40:36AM -0400, David Farber wrote:
Me roo.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 22, 2010 4:50:08 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Google Is Hiring Bond Traders

So what?s what they are doing with all the stuff they know about me?

I?d feel far better if this were arms-length.

Really? What possible reason would they have to do that? Come on,
folks. If this is a surprise to anyone, you simply haven't been paying
attention.

You voluntarily gave Google all of your information for the explicit
purpose of helping them make money so you could collect the free
computing crumbs they dropped on the floor while doing so.

Did you really have any illusions that this was a different
relationship? As far as I can tell, nowhere in the Google Terms of
Service or Privacy Policy is anything prohibiting Google from making
use of the information shared with them for the gain of Google as long
as it doesn't violate their prohibition against sharing personally
identifiable information with third parties.

-- - Adam
----------
If you liked this email, you might also like:
"You're not looking at the iPad the right way"
-- http://workstuff.tumblr.com/post/459204324
"Cooking at home is different"
-- http://www.aquick.org/blog/2009/10/15/cooking-at-home-is-different/
"Bloom"
-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields/4449638140/
"fields: @jayrosen_nyu Apropos to gradual intro to the digital ecosystem: http..."
-- http://twitter.com/fields/statuses/10928453700
** I design intricate-yet-elegant processes for user and machine problems.
** Custom development project broken? Contact me, I can help.
** Some of what I do: http://workstuff.tumblr.com/post/70505118/aboutworkstuff

[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.morningside-analytics.com ] .. Latest Venture
[ http://www.confabb.com ] ................ Founder