Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:41:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Date: March 15, 2010 12:11:30 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Fwd: [IP] Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

Dave,

A further note on Jim Warren's piece about closed and open systems in which he remonstrated with Steve Jobs about the
closed Apple.

From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple's Spat With Google Is Getting Personal

This is classic Steve Jobs.  He and I discussed EXACTLY this same issue - or obsession - one evening in my kitchen,
long ago.

I had similar arguments long ago (even earlier) at Texas Instruments.  They had designed a very nice minicomputer (the
9900) but insisted that they control all the software.  I had a rather long argument with Mark Shepherd about opening
it up, but he insisted that keeping control of both operating system software AND application software was essential.
Needless to say, they failed. Later they reduced the processor to a micro and did sell it openly, but by that time it
was too late.  The processor was actually quite a nice one, but not nice enough to overcome the management handica

Bob McClure