Interesting People mailing list archives

Citta di Partenope - Virtual Social Networking Meets Reality, Brilliantly

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:33:09 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: March 1, 2010 6:14:26 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Citta di Partenope - Virtual Social Networking Meets Reality, Brilliantly

Hi Dave:

I was fascinated by an interview on BBC Radio about an Italian social network which intriguingly brings together the
virtual and real worlds. Some Googling led me to this summary of what it's all about written by someone who was
similarly intrigued. For IP if you wish a change from discussing bandwidth, etc! :-)

Cheers

Brian

-----

Citta di Partenope - Virtual Social Networking Meets Reality, Brilliantly
Feb 28th, 2010
by Sponge.

I just HAD to write about this.
Brilliant, BRILLIANT use of a virtual online city that truly intersects with the 'real' world in useful and
productive ways. It's social networking. It's civic participation in a 'real' way. It's marketing for the 'real'
businesses in the city. In short, it changes 'virtual reality' into 'reality virtual'.

Normally I'd have just done a quick Facebook link or tweet on this, but that was insufficientÅ  and it took me HOURS
of hunting to find enough information, explanation and links to pass on to you. Almost everything I found is in
Italian, with the exception of the BBC radio broadcast - see the link below. (The bit about Partenope is about 20
minutes in, but the entire podcast is worth listening to anyway.)

For those of you in a hurry, links to more info: Citta di Partenope (at http://comunedipartenope.it) is a virtual
city of, by, and for the real people of Naples (Napoli) Italy. It was created by Claudio Agrelli of
http://www.agrelliebasta.it . They are on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Napoli-Italy/Citta-di-Partenope/29939687062 . Look up the channel for "agrelliebasta"
on YouTube. Even if you don't understand Italian, just looking at and listening to Claudio Agrelli is worth it :-) I
first heard about it on BBC (radio) and you can find a podcast at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/science/2009/03/000000_digital_planet.shtml , look for the February 23 2010 program.

Full story at:

 http://thewetsponge.com/posts/186
--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK