Interesting People mailing list archives

AT&T Locks Sirius XM Out of Android Phones

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:45:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Charley Kline <csk () mail com>
Date: June 16, 2010 10:38:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: AT&T Locks Sirius XM Out of Android Phones

In a stunning move, AT&T (T) has locked Sirius XM (SIRI) out of all of its Android based phones. AT&T’s new HTC Aria
Android based phone, which is scheduled to be released on June 20th, will be locked to prevent the downloading of
Sirius XM’s Android app. AT&T’s Motorola (MOT) Backflip has already been locked to prevent the downloading of the app
as well. This is the result of AT&T’s decision to lock out all non-Android Market apps, including the Sirius XM app,
from being downloaded to its Android based phones.
AT&T’s decision to not embrace the open source nature of the Android OS is surprising, especially in light of CEO
Ralph de la Vega’s previous comments regarding the Android platform. In an interview with Engadgethe seemed to
indicate the opposite:
We like the Android as an operating system on its own, but we want to make sure that we have, and customers have the
option, to put applications on that device that are not just Google (GOOG), applications, so when the G1 came out and
T-Mobile (DT) launched it, it’s primarily a Google phone. And we want to give customers the choice of other
applications on that device, not just the same Google applications … the whole idea behind Android is that it’s gonna
be an open OS, and so I don’t wanna roll an open OS to market that has primarily Google apps on it, and I think
that’s gonna happen. I mean, I see a lot of activity, I think it’s got a good future, and I think it makes a lot of
sense that the OS is open-source, separate from Google apps that are also very good.
Why isn’t Sirius XM’s online streaming app available from the Android Market? Pandora, Slacker, Last.fm, along with
many other streaming apps, are currently available from the Android Market. Sirius XM’s April 23rd announcement
stated that the app “will be available as a free download through the Android Market on the handset or by
visitingsiriusxm.com/android.” The company’s May 28th press releaseannouncing the launch of the app then dropped the
Android Market download option, simply stating: “The SIRIUS XM App is available by visiting siriusxm.com/android.”
The reasons for this have not been made public as of now. While many unanswered questions remain, AT&T’s decision to
lock out non-Android Market apps risks alienating customers who want Sirius XM.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/210408-at-t-locks-sirius-xm-out-of-android-phones?source=yahoo