Interesting People mailing list archives

re White House Proposes Vast Federal Internet Identity Scheme

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:42:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: lynn <lynn () ecgincc com>
Date: June 27, 2010 5:25:03 PM EDT
To: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re  White House Proposes Vast Federal Internet Identity Scheme

I'd feel better if it was infosec people creating solutions and developing
standards.

As to cyber-terrorism, there is some real things going on out there. I
don't deny that. But - the USG lumps anything they want under this label.
I object to that too. There are some security solutions, but they are not
always implemented.

How does this OBM solution deal with ppl like me that have 20 or so free
mailboxes under different names (for different purposes)? How do they deal
with the stupidity of social engineering?

Too many people think a p/w that is not their spouses/childs/pets nane or
b-day is way too much to remember.

There are too many unanswered questions. Perhaps the marketplace finding a
solution(s) is better.

Additionally, how will we ever have anonyminity? This is particularly
important for whistle-blowers. Often I make up a user name for myself to
stay anonymous. Lots of people do that for various good reasons.

I liked things better 20 years ago - both on and offline :)

On the question why government should get involved-- I cover that in
"Why the OMB is taking on identity and privacy now." I don't totally buy
the arguments, but I'm trying to see it the way the Administration sees
it. On very narrow grounds, one can find reasons to support the
initiative, More broadly, if you follow tech news, you know there's a
lot of mainstream jitters about cyber-incidents and (not my term!)
cyber-terrorism, and this stuff is not paranoia. The government wants
solutions.

I agree that government is usually more part of the problem than part of
the solution, when it comes to privacy. But we can either throw up our
hands and wait for the Revolution or use the levers available to
us--such as the FTC--to force the government to do what it can in a
positive way.