Interesting People mailing list archives

re "Homomorphic encryption"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:33:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: SJ Manning <sjmanning () fymc com>
Date: July 14, 2010 7:55:11 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, David Farber <dfarber () cmu edu>
Subject: "Homomorphic encryption"

Hi Dave.

For IP if you wish.

Reading this with great interest.  Not because I profess any legitimate understanding of this esoteric topic.  I do,
however, recall the admonishment of - with the exception of present company - the singularly brightest human being I
have ever had the privilege to keep company with:  "Sometimes things that don't make sense just don't make sense."

A couple years ago, I spent some stunned time in the afore-referenced friend's think tank of hyper-technological
folks.  Two of those people, part of the "bleeding-edge" crew, were working on a project:  generating the same random
number in two places at the same time.  To me, that was a quintessential oxymoron.  Yet they had genuine credibility
with that project.  Perhaps they succeeded.  I can see that happening much like "the emperors new clothes."  Naive
and uninformed, am I?

As to the project subject of this email string,  if one end of the data flow has the formula for encryption, the
other end needs to get it to - oh heck, un-encrypt it.  Even if there is a map of the encryption allowing the
receiving end to manipulate the "encrypted data", is that not the obvious gateway to the data itself?

Cloud computing sounds so ethereal.  Even romantic as an empirical milieu.  Somebody kindly explain to this
techo-simpleton how that is not the use of heretofore "shared main frames with appropriate processing software" with
a new and amazing method of accessing those (as to input, functions and output).

For now, I will write an ode to my laptops and the super people who produce all those fine pieces of software to
protect my computer/data.  And that of all my employees armed with laptops.   And to the great women and guys at a
Mac shop in LA, who without much ceremony cracked my well protected hyper-new MacBook Pro and worked on it shortly
after somehow some diet soda made its way onto the keyboard.

Thanks and my best regards.

Steve.
--
Steven J. Manning
Global Solutions Architect

FYMCorporation
Datacomm LLC
ENSOdata®
Ctoads™
Image I AG
ZsKF / HU

www.fymc.com
sjmanning () fymc com
Telephone:   310-601-3119
Telefax:  310-275-9978

CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY OF COMMUNICATIONS NOTICE:
This message as well messages that may be threaded to it, as well as documents, files and previous emails that may be
attached to it are confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the use of the individual to whom
it is addressed.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution,
dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by E-Mail.  Do not disclose the contents to anyone or retain any portion of this
message.
E-mail can be altered, intercepted and read by persons other than those for whom the messages are intended!
Therefore, unless encrypted and signed, the integrity of this and all other electronic communications cannot be
guaranteed.