Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Mythbusting the Obama Magic

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:02:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: January 5, 2010 11:38:11 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Mythbusting the Obama Magic

Dave:

The sociology of power is a pretty well developed field and list- members would do themselves a favor to investigate what it has come up with.

William Domhoff's "Who Rules America" is in its 6th edition and would be a good place to start, unless you are feeling nostalgic and simply want to pull C. Wright Mills' "Power Elite" off your shelf.

Domhoff bases his analysis on the IEMP model from UCLA's Michael Mann. His two volumes "The Sources of Social Power" are very readable and elaborate the overall approach.

Power in society is the result of four overlapping networks, the Ideological, the Economic, the Military and the Political. These networks vary tremendously over time and place but are all deeply involved with our current situation in the US.

The notion that electing a US President on the perennial Throw-The- Bums-Out ticket (i.e. why we have a two-party system) would be able to materially impact these power networks is indeed "magical" thinking.

Happy New Year,

Mark Stahlman
New York City