Interesting People mailing list archives

] ICSI claims "effectively perfect" spam blocking method

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:17:50 -0500

From: "Rich Kulawiec" <rsk () gsp org>
To: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Lauren Weinstein" <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 26, 2010 06:43:05 AM EST
Subject: Re: [IP] ICSI claims "effectively perfect" spam blocking method

We have seen a very long parade of such claims, and each one has reminded
me of the sequence of events at the end of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation"
series, where one person after another claims to have located the Second
Foundation...but none of them have.

Each has had its technical issues, but what most of them actually have
in common is that they've failed to consider that [some] spammers are
quite adaptable.  They've long since demonstrated a tremendous ability
to innovate *when they need to*, which generally equates to "when some
new anti-spam tactic is deployed".  And in many cases, they've displayed
far more creative thinking and technical prowess than almost everyone
working in the anti-spam field.  (And certainly their mass hijacking of
end-user systems was a masterstroke that has security and privacy
implications that we're only beginning to fully comprehend. [1])

And this is why, in turn, nearly all of the purported "solutions"
to spam have been defeated before they were even widely deployed.
Spammers have done their homework, and have frequently developed
countermeasures that in some cases merely evade them, but in some cases
turn them to their advantage or enable them to be repurposed as weapons. [2]
They're not going to just quietly sit on their hands and watch as their
highly lucrative enterprises are disrupted.  And they (or their hired
developers) read research papers too.  So the most likely outcome here
is that they will prepare their counter, wait until this approach
or some variant of it is deployed, and *then* render it moot. (Why wait?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." -- Napoleon)

We already have anti-spam methods that work extremely well. [3]  We've had
them for years.  What we don't have (as recent discussion on NANOG
illustrates) is the will to use them.  And so in many ways while we've
become very good at stopping spam, we've remained very poor at stopping
spammers, thus guaranteeing that we will repeat this cycle again and again.

---Rsk

[1] I think at this point we should probably be talking about 200M
compromised systems, not 100M as we were a few years ago.

[2] For example, SAV/callbacks fall into that latter category: they
provide spammers with bypass methods and facilitate very nasty DDoS
attacks, something we figured out years ago when Verizon was using them.
Thankfully, they stopped, but unfortunately others have not been
as responsible.

[3] Where "work extremely well" is assessed by multiple metrics:
FN rate, FP rate, resource cost, simplicity, resistance to evasion,
performance, scalability, ease of modification, predictability, etc.