Interesting People mailing list archives

re; Still kicking -- snobol

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:26:25 -0500

For those who might not know,I was one of the three creators of SNOBOL, Snobol 2 and Snobol3.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 24, 2010 10:18:38 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, 'ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Gerry Faulhaber' <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:    Still kicking -- snobol

I remember the challenges of using SNOBOL 3 (not that fancy SNOBOL 4) on NYU’s IBM 7094 under FMS (Fortran Monitor System) back then (w hen I was in High School). You had to put a think pile of cards, a f ew inches of them, in front of your ten line (line = card) program. None of this fancy library-on-disk stuff. And if you wanted your own copy you had to go to the 1401 to copy the binary deck because the 519 wasn’t really up to the task of copying a binary deck – too much power on too many magnets to reliably copy the deck.

But it was worth it and exciting – SNOBOL felt liberating compared w ith Fortran. It was all part of the Precambrian age of computing whe n every idea was untried. And the 7094 was a huge computer with 32K words, sort of like 128K bytes without much support for strings or t he other stuff of which SNOBOL was built.

It’s interesting to reflect back on how different the concept of com puting was that – a card deck that did something and produced the re sult. No permanent stories or connected computing (though I’ve been online since 1966). FMS wasn’t even an operating system – just a way to batch up programs – typically in Fortran though assembler and COBOL were alternatives.

Knowing the hardware underneath, dealing with registers in assembler, plug boards for the 519 and other peripherals gave us a grounded sense of computing. For some, perhaps, it limited the thinking of what is possible but it also left us with a sense that these are just machines even as the public image of “giant brains” flourished.

I wonder what it’s like to grow up learning to see computing first v ia the web or via high level languages using very powerful developme nt tools that had the basic mechanism.

Perhaps that is what makes explaining my view to others – it’s very different when we built these systems pragmatic but imperfect s olutions to problems. Today too many people see these imperfect comp romises as the only possibilities and revere them rather than questi on them.

Good thing it wasn’t so long ago otherwise I’d feel old.