Interesting People mailing list archives

(Resend) Re: Supreme Court on corporate rights

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:05:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson () realmeasures dyndns org>
Date: January 22, 2010 10:37:26 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: Paul Alan Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Subject: (Resend) Re: [IP] Supreme Court on corporate rights

(Resending -- the note that came through your list had only two
short lines in it for some reason)

Hi Dave -- for IP if you like.  My comments on this case should be
interesting to many on your list.

Any given state could devise conditions for granting a charter of
limited liability. This clearly sets up a distinction whereby
rights of natural persons are distinct from whatever statutory
"rights" state-created corporate entities with limited liability
privileges possess — at the state level. You can simply apply the
principle of fundamental rights of natural persons on their own or
within associations, while understanding associations with limited
liability privileges as distinct because of those privileges.

At the federal level, it's a different beast. The real problem
with this ruling is that it looks like a further extension of
corporate rights, when actually it’s an overapplication of federal
commerce clause jurisdiction, so that by upholding the rights of
persons and their associations at that level, the ruling glosses
over the unique advantages that corporations have as compared to
natural persons. Rather than clarifying that the artificial beings
given limited liability by states may be distinguished from
natural persons who have ordinary liability under the law, this
ruling is a further gloss on many years of federal commerce clause
rulings from which corporations got their "rights," creating yet
more misconceptions about the corporate form.

I think the conservatives could have been flipped by questioning
the dormant commerce clause presupposition underlying the
precedents that supposedly gave corporations first amendment
rights. As I noted in an earlier note to your list on this case, I
think Clarence Thomas might have found that interesting. But in
general that line of analysis would have appealed to the
conservatives far more than what they characterize as dislike of
corporations on the part of the liberal wing. It certainly would
have forced them to think harder about the nature of the issue
rather than issue this blankly unreflective "can't stand in the
way of free speech" rationale that drives this ruling.

I would not say the issue is about trying to silence speakers --
it's trying to gain recourse against artificial legal entities,
even just to have it recognized that there should and can be such
recourse.

The left doesn't see how right now because they loves them some
good rational federal laws pegged to the commerce clause; whereas
the right doesn't see how because they forgot how we got here.
What's perverse about this from the (modern) left perspective, is
that it's from cases questioning those federal laws pegged to the
commerce clause that corporations *got* their apparent "rights."
At the same time, it's perverse from the modern right perspective,
because states' rights and corporate rights have long been in
inverse relationship with each other.

Seth Johnson