Interesting People mailing list archives

POTS Reliability - Reality

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:55:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stagg Newman <lsnewmanjr () yahoo com>
Date: January 2, 2010 10:36:26 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: POTS Reliability - Reality

Faith in the "copper network" may be misplaced in the real world.

Many customers today are served by fiber fed copper.  So
unless the fiber/copper junction in the neighborhood (DSLAM)
has backup power for several days, one is still without service
once that backup fails. So it is no longer the central office power system that provides the back-up power.

Or is there is a fiber cut which we have also experienced
then everybody in the fiber footprint (may be 100s or 1000s or
people) are out of service until that is fixed.   Fiber rings are used
for businesses but not necessarily to served residential neighborhoods.

Moreover for those customers who are served by aerial plant,
it the aerial plant goes in a hurrican or earthquake,
then no phone service.

When we lost power when the hurricanes visited the mountains a
few years ago, we lost POTS, cable, and power simultaneously.
As far as we could tell, there were no trees across lines anywhere
so likely a power failure that affected the fiber/copper cabinet (DSLAM) and the backup system did not work.. We have both DSL from ATT and cable modem service from Charter. Our experience is both have similar amounts of outages
and both much higher than the old Bell System standard.

My impression but not based on actual data is that for the residential market over the last two decades
-cable reliability has improved
-and telco reliability has gotten worse
so that there is not much different between the two nowdays.

Note that I was the Department Head for Network Reliability at Bellcore shortly after divestiture when reliability data was carefully collected and analyzed.

So my recommendation if one is concerned about reliability is to have a wireline and a wireless provider. If you have more than one person in the household, you may want two different wireless providers.