Interesting People mailing list archives

INTERESTING Re: Banks Set for Record Pay - 18% over last year!!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:42:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: January 17, 2010 1:26:27 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] INTERESTING Re: Banks Set for Record Pay - 18% over last year!!

Yes, but ...

Let's step back from the details and ask whether, compared to other professionals, these people are worth what they're being paid.

Are the skills involved in manipulating financial instruments more refined and more critical to society than, say, doctors, nurses, police, teachers, ... ? Really? By orders of magnitude?

Something is out of whack. We're not going to find or fix it by microanalyzing bonuses vs salaries for huge total payouts.

Mary Shaw