Interesting People mailing list archives

read Who Confirms The Accuracy (or is it precision) Of ISP Usage [sic] Meters?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:30:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kahn, Kevin" <kevin.kahn () intel com>
Date: January 14, 2010 11:06:30 AM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] re Who Confirms The Accuracy (or is it precision) Of ISP Usage [sic] Meters?

> The deeper issue is our willingness to accept the bad metaphor that leads us to think we are using up the "Internet" as if we were consuming electricity.

Bob’s wrong – if you’re using bandwidth on a path, I can’t use it on the same path. While we’re not talking about a finite natu ral resource, like oil, or similar, we’re talking about what I’ll characterize as financially limited finite resource: bandwidth.

At least on this list inhabited by folks who actually do generally know something about the technology could we manage to be precise in our use of “bandwidth” (a measure of instantaneous transmission rate) and “ transferred bit quantity”. Except in the case of a constant load over the entire measured period, these are very differ ent things. The so-called “bandwidth caps” are for the most part not that at all. They limit the total amount a user can transfer ove r some period (generally it seems a month). I understand that there is likely a correlation between people who transfer a lot of data o ver a month and those that try to run a high instantaneous rate, but it is precisely the difference that makes capacity caps unlikely to be the right tool. There may be two problems that ISPs have. The most common is what capacity they provision in their networks and ca pacity caps only address this incidentally via the correlation above . For handling fairness on an immediate basis they need not caps bu t rather better scheduling algorithms for the traffic that penalize proportionally to the “excess” traffic that users are generating right then. The other problem may be one of costs related to dispro portionate total traffic exchange (which could justify a capacity ca p) but this one doesn’t get spoken of much. Placing a capacity cap on a user who goes out of her way to heavily use the service only in off peak hours does nothing to help problem one. Conversely, a use r who stays well under the capacity cap but puts all that load in th e peak hour or two every day is impacting the system considerably. Independent of any of our beliefs about what ISPs should or shouldn’ t do, or how neutrally they may do it, could we at least be precise about what we are talking about on this issue?

Kevin C. Kahn

Intel Senior Fellow, Director Communications Technology

Intel Labs

JF2-96

2111 NE 25th Ave

Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961