Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Boston police fight cellphone recordings

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:29:12 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Moz <list () moz geek nz>
Date: January 13, 2010 11:29:51 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] re Boston police fight cellphone recordings

From: Abe Singer <abe () oyvay nu>

If the two-party consent law indeed supports such charges
for videotaping during an arrest, it seems to me that in
MA (and the 11 other states), every single tourist using
a videocamera who records anyone other than themselves
should get charged and found guilty of the same
violation.

I'd be more interested in challenging Police use of
technology using this law. Police habitually use equipment
that comes under this law in their operations, and I would
be interested to see the outcome of a challenge based on it.
Almost any recording they present in court should be
eligible. Likewise any "security camera" footage, since most
of those systems are capable of recording audio.

Moz