Interesting People mailing list archives

Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:32:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adi Kamdar <adikamdar () gmail com>
Date: February 9, 2010 5:48:58 PM EST
To: Discussion of Free Culture - FC-Discuss <discuss () freeculture org>
Subject: [FC-discuss] Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

Hey folks,

The Yale Daily News ran an article today about how there's almost-definite talk about Yale switching to Google Apps for
Education and using Google servers/software to host our email.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2010/02/09/google-run-yale-e-mail/

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts or good literature on the issues with this (re privacy, data, costs,
security, tech, law, etc.). For the most part, the students are overjoyed about this since our old email system is
painful to use, so it'd be nice to address usability issues as well.

Thanks a bunch,

-Adi