Interesting People mailing list archives

Your IPers may be interested in new cap and dividend legislation in US Congress

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:53:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bill St. Arnaud" <bill.st.arnaud () gmail com>
Date: February 10, 2010 9:22:01 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Your IPers may be interested in new cap and dividend legislation in US Congress

Dave:

As you may have heard in today’s news Democratic Senator Maria Cant well of the state of Washington, has tabled a bill for a “cap-and-d ividend” system, whereby an annual cap would be placed on emissions from coal, oil and natural gas sources but the bulk of the revenue f rom the carbon auctions would be returned directly to consumers to c ompensate them – and, in some cases, to overcompensate them – for the higher prices that fuel companies would pass on after buying the polluting credits.

I have long argued for a program similar to cap and dividend where the money from a cap and trade system or carbon taxes is returned directly to consumers. However I have advocated that we use carbon rewards where instead of simply returning money to consumers we create a virtuous circle where the consumer is rewarded with virtual products and services delivered over the Internet and for deployment of next generation broadband.

Governments around the world are wrestling with the challenge of how to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. The current preferred approaches are to impose “carbon” taxes and implement various forms of cap and trade or carbon offset systems. However another approach to help reduce carbon emission is to “reward” those who reduce their carbon footprint. It is estimated that consumers control or influenc e over 60% of all CO2 emissions. As such, one possible reward system of trading “bits and bandwidth for carbon”, or sometimes called "gCommerce" is to provide homeowners with free fiber to the home or free wireless products and other electronic services such as ebooks and eMovies if they agree to pay a premium on their energy consumpti on which will encourage them to reduce emissions by turning down the thermostat or using public transportation. Not only does the consum er benefit, but this business model also provides new revenue opport unities for network operators, optical equipment manufacturers, and eCommerce application providers.

For more details please see http://green-broadband.blogspot.com

email:    Bill.St.Arnaud () gmail com

twitter:  BillStArnaud

blog:       http://billstarnaud.blogspot.com/