Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Broadband truth in advertising, redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:03:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: February 7, 2010 7:00:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Broadband truth in advertising, redux

At 09:35 AM 2/7/2010, Richard Forno wrote:

Just saw a TV ad for 'unlimited mobile broadband' via Cricket for $40/mo.  Sounds awesome, right?   But if you
quickly scan the fine print during the commercial, Cricket's service, like everyone else, is capped at 5GB/mo.  So
again, what does "unlimited" mean for mobile broadband?

It means unlimited connect time. Just like DSL or cable.

[ This a BS. Cibbect time for IP? djf]

This is just the latest marketing scam for the wireless and broadband providers.....after all,  it's perfectly legal
to say "up to 50GB speeds"  in big bold blinking letters but only deliver 15GB regularly, with periodic bursts to
40GB.   But that is deemed 'truth' in advertising.

Ironically, actual truth in advertising -- which is what my ISP practices -- STILL does not get you far with some
customers. Our ISP specifies a guaranteed minimum throughput from the backbone. Most users are satisfied with that, but
some call to complain that they can't get speeds above their guaranteed rate 24x7. When we tell them that bandwidth is
expensive, and that they need to BUY more to be assured of getting more, they sometimes refuse to do it, even though
we're selling the bandwidth nearly at cost.

I'm not sure how one can win with such customers, except to send them to a competitor.

--Brett Glass