Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Lauren Weinstein -- Microsoft's Police State Vision? Exec Callsfor Internet "Driver's Licenses"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 05:06:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: jason () calacanis com
Date: February 2, 2010 6:02:16 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Lauren Weinstein -- Microsoft's Police State Vision? Exec Callsfor Internet "Driver's Licenses"

Dave, in Korea you have to login to social networks and blogs on Naver, Nate and Daum.net with your social security
number.

In some respects we are already opting into an internet drivers license: Facebook Connect. On Facebook you can't be a
fake person according to their TOS, and in large part the service is real userd (much more than twitter or myspace).

It would actually be an amazing business move for Facebook to require verification, or have two levels of accounts:
verified and not.

Twitter already verifies celebrities.

Market solution would be best IMO. Let folks opt into the wild west on 4chan, and Disneyland on Facebook.

Best j
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile