Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:58:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: mailers () oranged to
Date: February 11, 2010 12:07:33 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

Hi Dave

There are some interesting points which your readers may find interesting.

Contary to many peoples opinion google does currently have its own network that it runs. It may not own all the fibre
in the ground but there are very few carriers which do own their entire network. More often than not its the case that
companies will actually lease the dark fibre from other providers to give them reach into areas where they do not or
can't have capacity. Google has over the last 6 years or so been busy purchasing vast capacity Here are some dated
articles to show just how long the story really is :
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/Google-and-Its-Continuing-Dark-Fiber-Mystery/ (2005)
http://www.infoniac.com/hi-tech/google-purchases-10000km-undersea-fiber-optic-cable.html (2008)