Interesting People mailing list archives

some "facts" Verizon, Too! re GOOGLE DENIES IT--Google and Verizon in Talks on Selling Internet Priority - NYTimes.com

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:16:02 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Sullivan, Michael" <MSullivan () wbklaw com>
Date: August 5, 2010 9:07:52 AM PDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Verizon, Too! re GOOGLE DENIES IT--Google and Verizon in Talks on Selling Internet Priority -
NYTimes.com

Both Verizon and Google have specifically said the NY Times article got it all wrong.

Verizon Policy Blog:  New York Times' Story is Mistaken
The NYT article regarding conversations between Google and Verizon is mistaken.  It fundamentally misunderstands our
purpose. As we said in our earlier FCC filing, our goal is an Internet policy framework that ensures openness and
accountability, and incorporates specific FCC authority, while maintaining investment and innovation. To suggest this
is a business arrangement between our companies is entirely incorrect.
http://policyblog.verizon.com/BlogPost/740/NewYorkTimesStoryisMistaken.aspx

PC World:  Net Neutrality Deal May Not See Wider Support
A Google spokeswoman declined to comment on talks between her company and Verizon, but she denied a New York Times
report that said the two companies were negotiating a tiered service agreement that would give Google services faster
network speeds than some competitors.  That story "is quite simply wrong," said Mistique Cano, manager of global
communications and public affairs at Google. "We have not had any conversations with Verizon about paying for
carriage of Google traffic. We remain as committed as we always have been to an open Internet."
http://www.pcworld.com/article/202636/net_neutrality_deal_may_not_see_wider_support.html