Interesting People mailing list archives

re Good Read FBI avoids warrant by having TSA search computer at airport

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:36:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: April 21, 2010 3:32:57 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] ] re Good Read FBI avoids warrant by having TSA search computer at airport

I am starting to think that the right phrase these days is "Expect Civil Liberties? Get over it!"

The reason is this: the Internet has eliminated borders and boundaries. Our US policy has always assumed that outside the US border, our civil liberties disappear.

Rather than extend the span of civil liberties to cyberspace, our society and our government has decided that it is far more convenient to extend the span of the civil liberty-free zone to all of cyberspace, all information, and all communication.

We are left with the new conservative ideal: the "market" will produce whatever is really of "value". Thus the idea that civil liberties will arise if the "market" wills it so, from market principles. If Civil Liberties are so valuable, why won't anyone pay for it? Since they don't pay for it, they don't get it.

QED. Read books like Freakonomics, and see more examples of how economic analysis can demonstrate the (lack of) value of anything that we wish to devalue...