Interesting People mailing list archives

census workers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:41:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Norman MacLeod <gaelwolf () waypt com>
Date: April 3, 2010 3:49:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] census workers

Looks like they need to hire “head workers” who can do basic arithmetic and can figure out how to figure the mileage for two cars instead of eight.

Then, there’s the idea that perhaps the Census Bureau needs to provi de out-sized clipboards to deal with the out-sized paper sheets. (F ollow me, here, I’m thinking like a bureaucrat with a budget and con tracting authority for weird widgetry . . . ) This, of course, goes with the out-sized scanners needed to read the information on the o ut-sized sheets of paper being fed into the one-off computer applica tion that feeds the scanned information into the one-off database th at is so proprietary that it cannot talk to any other government dat abase.

Still with me?

They obviously missed the contracting opportunity to require waterproof paper for the out-sized forms, accompanied by special pens to write legibly on the special paper in the rain. Heads will roll in contracting for that faux pas!

. . . And then, there’s the omission of the opportunity to provide a dequate care and feeding to the rainwear manufacturers . . . which w ould have been the chief contracting officer’s golden opportunity to increase staffing at several in-house and FSA levels. (The primary responsibility, and definition of success, of any bureaucrat in any supervisory role is, after all, to never, ever leave the office sma ller than it was when one arrived in that role.)

This lack of situational awareness and capacity for capitalizing on opportunity will surely be reflected in the next series of efficiency reports!

What were they thinking?

            Norman MacLeod