Interesting People mailing list archives

re ISP Accused of "Hijacking" Google Search Queries and Subscribers' DNS

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 19:58:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: April 10, 2010 7:50:26 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] re ISP Accused of "Hijacking" Google Search Queries and Subscribers' DNS

Patrick Gilmore writes:

While I would not argue your general conclusions below, I question the use of the term DPI in this case. Redirecting a TCP port number is definitely above Layer 3, but typically I see the term "DPI" to mean looking into the payload of a packet, not the headers.

Assuming Windstream were only redirecting port 53 traffic (which would have the same symptoms as what you describe), this is pretty standard technology. Frequently high-end routers can do this without additional hardware.

It's not just high end routers. Every computer in the world that runs Linux or BSD UNIX (which means every Macintosh!) comes equipped with the ability to do this. On my FreeBSD routers, it's as simple as typing

ipfw add fwd 10.0.0.254 udp any to any 53

(although the command is usually included in a longer shell script that sets up firewall rules).

It's not "deep" (all packets are one-dimensional streams of bits) and it's certainly not "inspection" (no human is looking at the packets.) It's simple policy routing, as is done by every backbone router on the Net.

What's more, you will probably get a response from Brett, who uses something like this to redirect port 80 to his web caches. Of course, his caches probably show the "real" web page, but the traffic is definitely being redirected.

Yes, I do use a variation of the command above to redirect Web traffic to caches for improved performance. This is especially important during "rush hour," from 5 to 10 PM, when my backbone connection cannot handle 2000 separate video streams of "Never Gonna Give You Up." Fortunately, I can serve them from the cache. ;-)

I also use DNS redirection in the routers I put up at hospitality venues (hotels, campgrounds, coffeehouses, etc.) that offer Wi-Fi to guests. It ensures that the user can get access to the Net even if he or she has static DNS settings that won't normally work outside his or her home network. Saves us support calls and results in a lot of satisfied users.

For more, see

http://ow.ly/1wJgL

--Brett Glass